Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wouldn't be St. Patrick's Day without some Irish Soda Bread!


After I mentioned that Des made Irish Soda Bread a few weeks ago (it's true, in our house, Irish Soda Bread isn't confined to March 17th!), I received quite a few requests to share the recipe... which, of course, I would love to do however, he got it from a book that Liam brought home from the school library which, rather surprisingly, has been returned on time and therefore is no longer here!  (Trust me when I tell you this is a rarity; I've been avoiding the town library for months because I'm mortified about a $30 late fee from last summer!)

I did a bit of searching and the attached recipe from SimplyRecipes.com is pretty close to the various recipes we've used in the past:

Lyons Den Endorsed Irish Soda Bread recipe

Lots of raisins and a lack of caraway seeds are what make it a crowd-pleaser in our house.  I'm sure the purists out there might prefer to include the caraway but, having tried it and suffered the moans and groans of our own little leprechauns, I would't recommend it for yours.  Needless to say, the Irish Soda Bread is best served out of the oven with a side of butter and for you, perhaps even a pot of tea.  Erin Go Bragh!

Happy St. Patrick's Day... may your Irish eyes be smiling just like all of ours! 

No comments: