Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Battlecry of the Lyons Den: Read Kiddo Read!

Now that my oldest is seven, I frequently find myself engaging in the Battle of the Books.  Sometimes it’s Books vs. Screen Time and others it’s Wimpy Kid vs. more substantive reads.  As for me, I’ve always loved reading.  I have such fond memories of the summer book club at our library while I was growing up.  One year the theme was “The Wizard of Oz” and for each book you read, you got a piece for a mobile that naturally included the yellow brick road, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Wicked Witch of the West, Dorothy and those amazing red shoes. By the end of August, it was complete -- a construction paper homage to my summer reading accomplishments; I was so proud of it that it hung in my room until the colors faded and the next summer rolled around. 
I devoured books that summer and many more; in fact, I still do.  And I want my children to share my passion for reading.  With so many competing forces though, (the Wii, the DS, the homework, the four noisy younger siblings that my seven year old has!), it’s not always easy.  That’s why I just signed up for Read Kiddo Read and suggest you do too.   
You get lots of goodies for signing up for a four book subscription -- including a t-shirt, a surprise book or two and, what I think is the ultimate goodie – the opportunity to engender a love of reading and share new books with your kids.  As an added bonus, the first 16 Lyon Den subscribers will also get a free James Patterson book – either The Dangerous Days of Daniel X... 
  
Or, Maximum Ride - Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports:
You’re budding reader will  also have the chance to vote for his or her favorite books -- what kid doesn't like to be involved in picking a winner?!
Now, hurry up, sign up and start reading… the voting for best books ends on February 15th… just after Valentine’s Day, which is nice way of summing up how I feel about all this.  In a nutshell, I Heart Books! 
Here are few more of the details and, as you may have noticed if you're a regular Lyons Den reader, I don't often promote products or offer giveaways but this is one that I think is truly worthwhile and, hope you will agree!
ReadKiddoRead subscriptions are available from ReadKiddoRead for $14.99 per week or month. Once each week (or month) your child will receive a new book chosen specifically for him or her based on reading level and individual interests from the recommended book list at ReadKiddoRead. Enter this code (RKRTSHIRT) when you check out to get your t-shirt and extra goodies and don't forget to get your kids involved and let their voices be heard when they (and you) vote for their favorite books. View the Kiddo Award nominees for this year at http://www.readkiddoread.com/uploads/kiddos2012.php and vote for the ones your kids just can’t put down!

1 comment:

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Awwwsome...
are you teaching your kids
about Almighty God enough
to experience the awwwsomeness
of Seventh-Heaven, too??
Pray the Rosary for starters.
GBY